I am SUPER excited about this shirtdress I just finished for the McCall Pattern Company Shirtdress Sew Along I joined this May. I just couldn’t get the right combo in one image of cute face/cute dress in the pics today.
This was my first sew-along. I got turned on to it through my current obsession with Instagram. It was eventually hosted through a special Facebook group page so participants could easily share and collaborate. I got so many tips and points of view from other sewists. It was really fun to see what other people work on and how they solve problems both similar and different from mine.
I used McCall’s 7380 and a cotton print from Liberty Fabrics.
My goal was to reduce my fabric stash during Me Made May and this selection was kind of a special challenge. The fabric is from Purl Soho in downtown Manhattan and it was a gift from my then-boyfriend at the time I relocated to Florida from NYC. He was probably the biggest fan ever of my sewing. He gave the fabric to me because he expected I would need something nice to make a Florida-appropriate dress.
He and I both work in the fashion industry and several of the best men’s shops on Madison Avenue are his clients. He has impeccable taste and is one of the most well-versed people I have ever met regarding tailored clothing – fabric, fit, construction, styling… you name it. Our relationship faltered after I relocated, and three years on, I still hadn’t wrapped my head around a project that could do justice to the gift and the support I had from him.
I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity in joining the sew-along to further perfect my pattern fitting skills, so that’s how I decided this fabric finally met its match. I went through 4 rounds of fitting the muslin samples before I felt good about taking my scissors to the real fabric. I don’t think I have ever invested so much time and effort in fitting something by myself. It’s an interesting process, because once you perfect one area, yet another calls your attention asking to be altered. At a certain point you have to just move on. Especially since it’s the next to last day of May and I wanted to finish!
I added a special surprise lining to my button placket in silk to keep it from getting bulky with all the fabric layers.
I am especially pleased with my collar construction. Extra neat!
An unintended benefit of my stash-busting goal is that I wound up finding other things to use up instead of buying new supplies. These buttons were salvaged from a jacket that had seen better days and I used up so much of my random leftover thread this month!